Benalmadena , a true gem on the coast of Malaga in the south of Spain
For many, it is an unknown gem on the coast of Malaga, according to the reactions of many of our guests. At just a 20 minutes drive from Malaga airport, Benalmadena town is located in the heart of the Costa del Sol, which it is the perfect base to visit cities as Malaga and Marbella.
The three distinct neighborhoods of Benalmadena: Old town, Arroyo de la Miel and Costa offer 3 great possibilities to explore the area. The old town is a charming Andalucía village with narrow streets, whitewashed houses and pretty squares, it has kept that typical ´authentic´ feeling with some cozy restaurants and many terraces. Arroyo de la Miel is the residential and commercial area and the coast strip, with the harbor Marina attracts most tourists in general.
The harbor is home for more than 1000 yachts and great to walk through. Fishing trips leave from the marina during the day as well as boats for dolphins and wildlife spotting. The harbor also hosts regular food fairs, it has plenty of boutiques, shops, and other leisure activities like escape rooms or a visit to Selwo Marina which is a home for penguins, turtles, piranhas and visitors can swim with a sea lion and make friends with dolphins. Further visit Sealife, a walk-through underwater park, for watching starfish, stingrays and sharks. The harbor itself is also a social hub where locals and foreigners go for eat, drink, dance and enjoy live music.
Only 2 km from this harbor is the residential neighborhood of Torrequebrada surrounded by the golf course Torrequebrada Golf, a 18 holes golf course, par 72 with beautiful views of the coast, and with its numerous lakes and strategically placed bunkers, it offers a real challenge.
All our holiday homes, are located in a quiet green residential area which is just a little away from the hustle and bustle of the coast and harbor. The driving range of Torrequebrada golf course is literally some steps away. Close by at walking distance you will find public transport, international hospital Xanit, supermarkets, shops, playgrounds for kid and beautiful sandy beaches.
Here a few suggestions of places ready to discover:
- Parque la Paloma in Benalmadena, a huge public park with great play grounds for kids.
- Butterfly Park Benalmadena with 1500 exotic butterflies from all around the world.
- Tivoli World Benalmadena, also called the ´Disneyworld of Costa del Sol´.
- Teleferico (cable car) Benalmadena that takes you on the top of Mount Calamorro where on clear days you can see the coast of Morocco.
- The Casino of Hotel Torrequebrada, only 10 min walk, where you can enjoy a great evening with Flamenco or International Magic Show.
- A few minutes drive is Fuengirola city, with its many terraces, restaurants and Miramar shopping center.
- Torremolinos with big water park and Europe´s largest Crocodile Park.
- Possibility of nice daytrips to any of the ´pueblos blancos´ (white towns) such as Mijas or Nerja for the authentic Andalucía taste.
- A little further (1,5 hour drive) but definitely worth the visit is the city of Granada with the popular Moorish castle Alhambra but also a great place for fantastic tapas!
- Ronda is also 1,5 hour drive and it is a little gem with its Moorish center and the overwhelmingly views of a deep canyon.
- Only 30 min drive, you will find the fashionable city of Marbella, the playground of the international jet-set.
- Malaga city, only 20 min drive, nowadays an important cultural destination with Picasso and Thyssen museum, theaters and trendy but also typical Spanish bars.